Thursday, April 02, 2009

A Farewell to Lynx

To my current and former students:

This will be my last semester teaching at the college. The department has finally managed to fill the chaired position, and they've done it with a fantastic econometrician and teacher. I'm very excited for the opportunities that you'll have as a result. Since the chair is an expensive position to fill, and money is tight everywhere, the department will be satisfying any teaching shortfalls with local and less costly adjuncts (and I think it is a good and prudent decision). There's no drama or tension or anything like that.

Teaching here has been the greatest job I've ever had. Partly that's been because of my fantastic colleagues, especially Art Carden, who goes to lunch with me and talks about economics almost every day, but it's also because of the amazing students. You've made teaching a joy, and I hope I'll continue to hear from you about your success in school, and your accomplishments after you graduate. I've never before taught students so eager to learn, and so capable of handling all the difficult material I gave you. You've made me a better teacher, and probably taught me more than I taught you.

I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing next year. In any case, I'll finally be in Nashville, which will be nice since my wife lives there. I'm looking for teaching positions there. If you know anyone who needs an economist who specializes in Environmental, Online, and General Microeconomics (with a bit of Law and Econ and Public Choice on the side), let me know!

If you need to get in touch with me, use my gmail account. My school/work account will eventually be shut down. You can also use Facebook.

Good luck to all of you!

(If you recognized the title of this entry as a play on the title of a Rush album, give yourself extra credit.)