Tuesday, June 01, 2010

What's Under Your Gas Station

The Kroger nearby put in a gas station. My wife took a picture of the enormous tank before they buried it. I thought it was pretty cool, so here it is.




Think about all the specialized labor and capital that goes into building this gas station.The workers know how to dig and build and hook everything up. There are tools for digging and moving things around, and there must be cool equipment used for building that big tank, and trucks and trailers for delivering it. The total operation must take hundreds of people, maybe thousands, most of them unaware of each others' existence, with no one coordinating the whole thing. Sure, there's probably a guy who oversees construction, but he doesn't oversee the production of the tank or the truck that delivered it. It's an incredible decentralized machine. Amazing, huh?

2 comments:

Phil Gorrindo said...

Cool, Mike -- I appreciate your pausing to ponder the larger spatial and temporal existence of the world around us. Reminiscent of "I, Pencil"...

Mike Hammock said...

That's very insightful of you, Phil, since "I, Pencil" was exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that.